FC Cincinnati controlled by Valencia CF in 2-0 loss

On a night highlighted by a retirement ceremony for Omar Cummings, the Queen City packed Nippert with a total attendance of 23,114. While not even close to the 35k+ crowd that was drawn in last year's international friendly, the result was exactly the same -- a 2-0 loss to a quality European opponent.

Cummings, who received the Man of the Match honor, was joined by Carl Linder III, Jeff Berding, and others to see his jersey framed and his retirement officially announced.

In a post-game interview with Alan Koch by reporter Lindsay Patterson, Koch said this when asked about what the match did for his team:

"There's no shame in us obviously losing tonight. We knew it would be an exercise, and we had the opportunity to throw in 22 players, I believe it was, in the game. I am very happy for my group."

In the same interview, he said this about Omar:

"I'm glad we could actually reward him tonight. There's not many players that when they do decide to retire get an opportunity like this to do it in front of a city that means so much to Omar."

The game, in the end, did not matter that much, but there were still some takeaways that could be looked at. Quinn played especially well guiding the midfield, and the debut of defender Sam de Wit seemed to go over very well. De Wit anchored a backline that did not have a consistent starter. The attack, that was led by Kyle Greig in his second match, did not have much going tonight, especially after Jimmy McLaughlin was taken off the pitch.

For Valencia, Nando netted a beautiful goal on keeper Dallas Jaye after an exquisite over-the-top through ball led him down the left-hand side. The second goal was a gimme as a Valencia forward leaked out after a 92' minute corner brought all of FCC, even their goalie, forward to try and capitalize on their final attempt.

Here are the highlights from the game.
In the end, Cincinnati had a great night, and some of the starters received a much-deserved rest.

Popular Posts