FC Cincinnati Looks to Return to Form Against New York Red Bulls II

Photo Courtesy of Jamie Smed-Twitter

When/Where-The match is at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey at 4 p.m. This is FC Cincinnati’s first match against New York Red Bulls II this season. FC Cincinnati lost both matches against the Red Bulls last season, but one of those where Mitch Hildebrandt was sent off.

How to watch-You can watch the match on local television Star 64, on the USL Youtube channel, or on FC Cincinnati’s website.

After a disappointing week of matches for the boys in blue and orange, FC Cincinnati looks to bounce back in their first match against New York Red Bulls II. The defending champions have had a less than satisfactory season, with an 8-11-4 record and ninth on the Eastern Conference table.

A reason for this decline is Brandon Allen’s loan from the New York Red Bulls organization to Minnesota United FC in July. Allen was the 2016 USL Cup MVP, and second in the Golden Boot standings to our own Sean Ugo Okoli. However, New York Red Bulls II still have the ability to score, having put on points in their last five matches. FC Cincinnati should be aware of Vincent Bezecourt in the midfield, and Junior Flemmings at forward, each having six and five goals respectively.

The New York Red Bulls II match is also the return of Djiby Fall, FC Cincinnati’s leading goal scorer. After a suspension in USL season play and the U.S. Open Cup, Djiby returns to a club that was able to score two goals against the MLS New York Red Bulls club. FC Cincinnati’s midfield played well against the New York Red Bulls, especially Kenney Walker, who is on a roll, playing exceptional as of late.

FC Cincinnati is seventh on the table with 31 points. A win, or even a draw, would go a long way to helping the club secure a playoff spot. And that is what matters now, there isn’t a U.S. Open Cup to fall back on. FC Cincinnati has to buckle down, and weather the storm and get a spot in the playoffs. We have seen the potential that the club has, with their 3-2 victory against Louisville City FC, and their multiple Open Cup victories. But when the club is lackadaisical, they play like they did last Saturday against the same Louisville club. Hopefully we see more of the former in the final nine regular season matches of our season.

Popular Posts