FC Cincinnati returns to South Beach for biggest game in club history

Following stunning wins over the Columbus Crew and the Chicago Fire, FC Cincinnati is looking to continue its amazing run in the US Open Cup on Wednesday against Miami FC.

This will be the team’s second trip to South Florida after the original match scheduled for July 12 was rained out. The delay means that the team should be well rested and ready to play. One can also assume that the team will have a particular fire within them after a shocking and frustrating loss to Rochester (or, in reality, the referee. But, I digress) in the team’s last USL match on July 29.
Despite FC Cincinnati’s previous successes in the Open Cup, however, Miami FC is not an opponent to underestimate. Like FCC, they have taken down two MLS teams on their journey so far, defeating Orlando City SC 3-1 and Atlanta United FC 3-2. This game will also be played on Miami FC's home turf, giving them the advantage of an 8-1-2 record at Riccardo Silva Stadium. They’ve also dominated the NASL and finished as spring season champions after burying the San Francisco Deltas under a 7 point onslaught. Players to watch for Miami FC are Stefano Pinho with a total of 10 goals this season, Vincenzo Rennella with 9 goals, and Dylan Mares with 5 goals. This team has a high-powered attack and having Harrison Delbridge, who was ruled out for the July 12th game, back will be huge.
This isn’t to say that FCC doesn’t stand a chance in this game. As mentioned previously, we have defeated Columbus and Chicago Fire, both of the MLS. We were given very small percentages when it came to our odds of winning, but somehow, in front of a dedicated fan base, we won both. The one thing that does drag us down a bit against Miami is that we won’t have our record-setting crowd of fans.

FCC has a slightly disappointing record of 2-5-2 on the road in comparison to our record of 6-2-4 at home. All four of our previous cup wins have also come at home. This doesn’t mean that we can’t win, though. Our players have shown an incredible amount of heart as we’ve moved along in the Open Cup, and all of our talent will be available to us when Wednesday rolls around. FCC players to watch are Djiby Fall with 11 goals (3 in Cup play), Danni Konig with 7, and Jimmy McLaughlin with 3 (scoring in FC Cincinnati's last two games).

On the defensive end, players to watch are Aodhan Quinn with 28 interceptions and 32 tackles, Corben Bone with 38 interceptions and 18 tackles, and Austin Berry with 50 interceptions and 26 tackles. Of course, perhaps the most important player to watch is goalkeeper Mitch Hildebrandt, who has a grand total of 56 saves and hasn’t allowed a single goal in Open Cup play and only allowed one of four goals during the shootout with the Chicago Fire.
All in all, expect a hard fought game against Miami FC. It should definitely be an entertaining game that will keep fans of both teams on the edge of their seats no matter who wins. Obviously, FCC would love to continue on in the Open Cup. However, even if we can’t bring home the win on Wednesday, we all still have something to be proud of. A two-year old team brought down two seasoned MLS squads in front of record crowds.

Even if we don’t hoist the trophy at the end of the tourney, we should feel proud of what this city has accomplished and what this team has accomplished.

Where: Riccardo Silva Stadium
When: 7:30 pm EST August 2
Easiest way to watch: stream on ussoccer.com