FC Cincinnati continues to shock the world with 1-0 over Miami FC

-Twitter, @AlanKochYVR

FC Cincinnati's Cinderella story continues. With a very strong starting XI, FC Cincinnati came in with all hands on deck, and it proved enough to pull out a  1-0 victory in front of Riccardo Silva Stadium record crowd of 10,415.

After the original date of 7/12 ended in a weather postponement, we came back with vigor on Wednesday. This time bringing in Harrison Delbridge, Austin Berry, Justin Hoyte, & Andrew Wiedman, who were all out for injuries and recovery in July.

-FC Cincinnati supporters who made the trip to Miami.
Cred. to Michelle Ashely
For a team which has been known for its offense, Miami seemed to have a tough time dealing with FCC's own, giving only 3 shots on the goal to Cincinnati's 8 at the half. Thanks to more than a couple great saves by Miami's goalkeeper Daniel Vega, both teams went into the half with nil-nil.

As the second half started up, a game of back and forth started, both teams getting several opportunities but nothing but a few fouls coming out of it. Finally, in the 68' minute, with Cincinnati threatening, Djiby Fall connected, driving in the first and only goal for the game with a massive assist by Justin Hoyte. The next twenty minutes, FC Cincinnati played defense, managing to keep Miami FC under control, leading to Mitch Hildebrandt logging three saves and gaining one more shutout despite Miami's last minute attempts.

After it was all said and done, FC Cincinnati goes 510 minutes of zero conceded goals. Mitch Hildebrandt's 4 shutouts match Djiby Fall's 4 goals. Both titans becoming huge players in FC's historic run.

FC Cincinnati will be playing the semifinals and facing the NY Red Bulls on August 15th back in their home of Nippert Stadium, where they have a league record of 6-2-4 compared to their 2-5-2 away.

Since 2011, there has not been a non-Major League Soccer team made it to the semifinals, and not since 1999 has a non-MLS team won the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. All eyes will be on San Jose Earthquakes & Sporting Kansas City on August 9th, where that winner will determine the host city for the finals. Be it Kansas City with a Sporting KC win, or FC Cincinnati/NY Red Bulls with a Sporting loss.

As FCC comes back home with a well-deserved win, they're be facing Orlando City B (with a crowd already 15000+). Followed by a trip to Louisville on the 12th.

We cannot wait for perhaps the most anticipated FC Cincinnati match yet on the 15th. Let's hope our underdog status prevails, and we come out with another MLS team in our defeated column.

Comments

  1. I photographed a fundraising conference here recently. What a wonderful place for photos. I almost always hate being anywhere at 6am, but this breakfast event proved an exception. The manger and his staff from venues in Chicago were extremely professional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts