USWNT head coach and star players comment on FC Cincinnati success

The United States Women's National Team arrived at Nippert Stadium today to train for their highly anticipated match tomorrow against New Zealand. They beat New Zealand 3-1 in Colorado this past Friday. This article isn't about their incredible match that everybody should be at.

It's about FCC and the success that it has garnered not just from its fans but from the national team too.

Just like everyone in Cincinnati knows, FC Cincinnati and soccer are both on the rise in the Queen City. This city has proven time and time again that soccer is here to stay and that FC Cincinnati is the real deal. Last Saturday, it drew 30k+ to its final home match. That by itself is noteworthy, and USWNT head coach Jill Ellis has picked up on FCC's success.

In a press conference before the training, Jill Ellis said this when asked about the rise of soccer in Cincinnati:
"I think this has become a city that is now known for its soccer. They have good players that are coming out of here... It's a great atmosphere and that's what you want as a coach... I hope Cincinnati gets an MLS team. I probably just pissed someone off saying that."
Pat Brennan from the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with Megan Rapinoe, a star forward for the national team.
The NWSL is just entering its playoffs, but the league with only 10 teams is already looking to expand for next year. When Cincinnati gets an MLS team, a feat we hope happens sooner rather than later, an NWSL team could come if the kickoff of the MLS team is a success.

Hometown star Rose Lavelle also commented on the success of FCC. She played her club soccer at Cincinnati United growing up and played her collegiate soccer at the University of Wisconsin. Now playing for the Boston Breakers, here's what Lavelle said about FCC:
"Yeah, I mean, it's been something I brag about. I feel so proud to be from here and now have the city have such a huge soccer following... Hopefully it just continues for the long term."
Let's just say FCC's success is well known, and the Women's Team seem just as excited for the future of soccer in Cincinnati as anyone else. This sport is here to stay.

Continue to check back in with Bailey Banter for more quotes and analysis from the United States vs New Zealand game tomorrow night.